Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spaghetti & Meatballs

No offense Mom, but growing up I was never a fan of spaghetti...my mom would just brown up some ground beef, add spaghetti sauce, and serve over noodles. I found this recipe for sweet and sour meatballs (listed under "Ground Beef" recipes) that you can also use for spaghetti. I have used it so many times that page is so crinkly from getting stuff spilled on it, I don't even have to look up which page it's on anymore. Anyway, it's easy, like usual, and really good!
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 cup oats/bread crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (opt.)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
16 oz. can spaghetti sauce
*Mix all together, form into 18-24 meatballs. (I use a cookie dough scoop and that's the perfect size). At this point you can quick-freeze the meatballs for later use, or put them into a covered skillet at 350 degrees. You can also bake them at 350 for 20 minutes!
*Brown meatballs, turning occasionally (I use salad tongs to turn the balls. If you turn them too much they won't stay round), until center is no longer pink.
*When cooked through, turn skillet to "simmer" setting and then add large can of your favorite tomato sauce (I always use the garlic & cheese flavor), until heated through. Sprinkle with basil and serve over noodles.