- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed then halved
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half (or use whole milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook green beans for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water. Pour cooked green beans in the prepared dish in an even layer.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Pour in chicken broth. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, pour in half-and-half or whole milk. Decrease heat to low and continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens. About 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce evenly over the green beans in dish. Sprinkle the fried onions on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. *Place a piece of tinfoil over the top the last 10 minutes to prevent onions from burning.*
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!