- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (preferably grass-fed, organic)
- 1/2 lb pork sausage (preferably local, organic)
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce (approximately 28 oz. each; I like Newman’s Own Marinara)
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian mix cheese (Romano, Parm, Asiago, etc)
- 2 packages (10 oz.) fresh cheese ravioli, cooked al dente (I use Trader Joe’s)
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional for serving
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
2) In large skillet over medium heat saute onions until soft. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute but don’t let it burn. Next, add beef and sausage to onions and garlic and turn up heat to medium-high. Cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain grease, then stir in sauce and crushed tomatoes.
3) Spread thin layer of meat sauce into bottom of baking dish. Arrange a layer of cooked ravioli over the sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and Italian cheese over the ravioli. Repeat layers, ending with the last of the sauce on top.
4) Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes until hot throughout. Take foil off and bake about 15 minutes more or until bubbly at edges.
5) Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Put the whole casserole together and freeze it BEFORE baking. Be sure to wrap the casserole tightly before putting in the freezer. When ready to cook, either thaw in the fridge for at least 24 hours or thaw in the microwave on defrost. If it’s still frozen in the middle when you bake it, it will take a little longer. Cover with foil if it starts to brown on top and is not warm in the middle. It’s ready when the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.