Thursday, August 28, 2014

DIY Laundry Detergent

Okay so I am aware that this is not a FOOD recipe, however, I think it's worth sharing and you make it in your kitchen...does that count? :) I made a batch of this and it was $24, buying everything but the baking soda, at WalMart. I had a bucket left over from my previous laundry detergent that I mixed everything in and have in my cupboard, but you could also use a big glass container, plastic tupperware, etc to store it in. It smells amazing and works great! It got out some tough grease stains just this morning! Recipe from HowDoesShe!






Ingredients:

1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)
2 (55 oz) Bottles of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle

Directions:

1. Grate zote soap with cheese grater or food processor. (I cut mine into big chunks and it blended quickly)
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.
3. Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load.