Thursday, October 2, 2014

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

My aunt made this cake for us a couple weeks ago and it is SOOOO good! I made it myself last night and it definitely curbed our sweet tooth without making us feel too guilty (it's only 165 calories per serving!!). Anyway, here's her recipe, give it a try!

1/2 c. reduced calorie butter
3/4 c. zero calorie sugar substitute
1 egg
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 c. peeled chopped apples (or applesauce)
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I like pecans)

*Preheat oven to 350. Grease 8” square pan. Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg. Blend flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon; combine with butter mixture. Stir in apples and nuts; transfer to a pan and bake about 30 minutes or until cake tests done.

Caramel Sauce
160 calories per serving
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. light corn syrup (or I use honey)
1/4 c. canned milk (I use skim milk)
1/4 c. reduced calorie butter

*Stir brown sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan. Mix in remaining ingredients and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve warm over cake.