- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed and divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup butter, sliced and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti noodles until al dente (about 10 minutes). Rinse in warm water, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm oil on medium heat and sauté onions until translucent. Add 1/2 of the minced garlic and stir until fragrant. Turn up the heat to medium high and add the ground beef. Stir consistently until browned and crumbly. Drain and discard grease. Reduce heat to simmer and add spaghetti sauce to the ground beef mixture and stir.
- Mix together cottage cheese (or ricotta), cream cheese, sour cream, remaining half of garlic, and Italian seasoning. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Place half of the butter to the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. Top with half of the noodles. Spread cream cheese mixture over the noodles and layer remaining noodles over the cream cheese. Add remaining pats of butter.
- Pour spaghetti sauce mixture over the noodles and spread to cover entire casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle desired amount of cheese and Parmesan cheese across the top. Continue baking 10 minutes longer or until cheeses have melted.