Saturday, January 28, 2012

Skinny Macaroons

I told you I was on the hunt for yummy, low-fat treats, so here's another one! Found this recipe on Gina's Skinny Taste and to me they taste a lot like macaroons, only they're much less fattening. When I figured out the nutrition facts, they are about 88 calories each, so you can eat 2 for a full serving. Not too bad!

3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I was actually out of this so I substituted with 1/2 tsp lemon juice, which works as a substitute. 1/8 tsp cream of tartar=1/4 tsp lemon juice)
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup cornflake crumbs (from 2 cups cornflakes crushed almost to powder)

*Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats.Whip the eggs whites, cream of tartar and sugar into a meringue until you form to form thick soft peaks, about 8 - 10 minutes. (I actually had mine beat in blender for more like 15 minutes).

*Fold in the coconut and cornflake crumbs.

*Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for about 18 minutes or until golden.