Friday, January 20, 2012

No-Bake Energy Bites

Finally! A healthy treat that doesn't taste healthy! Since I just had my 3rd baby, I am working hard to lose this baby weight and this snack is perfect for me. It makes me feel like I am really eating cookie dough balls....except they are cookie dough balls loaded with lots of good stuff! And my husband and kids loved them, too! Seriously, go get the ingredients now and try these, for heaven's sake!! Thanks, Smashed Peas and Carrots for the recipe! I can't wait to start trying these with some different variations...raisins instead of chocolate chips, nuts instead of coconut, adding some chocolate protein powder to the mixture...oh the possibilities!

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)--I use Adams
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed--this is actually usually near the vitamins in the grocery store, by the way
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes 18-20 golf ball-sized treats.

A reader from Smashed Peas and Carrots figured out all the nutritional info, which I found helpful, so here you go:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 26 g
Amount Per Serving:
Calories-114
Calories from Fat-62
Total Fat-6.9g (11%)
Saturated Fat-2.3g (11%)
Cholesterol-0mg
Sodium-33mg (1%)
Total Carbohydrates-11.5g (4%)
Dietary Fiber-2.3g (9%)
Sugars-6.5g
Protein-3.1g
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet