Monday, October 11, 2010

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

I love fall for so many reasons, but one of them is that it's the time for SOUPS! I love making healthy soups that even my husband will eat! This one is chucked full of veggies and our dinner table was very quiet with all the busy mouths gobbling it right up! I didn't have my camera when we were eating this, so no picture.

1 head cauliflower or 16 oz. frozen
1 c. sliced carrots (I substituted with a can of corn)
3 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
2-1/4 c. water, divided
2 c. 2% milk
1 can condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted (I used cream of chicken)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. cooked, cubed chicken, optional

*In a large saucepan, combine the vegetables, onion, bouillon and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

*Stir in the milk, soup, garlic powder and nutmeg. Combine the cornstarch and remaining water (1/4 c.) until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese until melted and chicken to warm.