Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Debie's Turtles---Totally Life Changing!!

Debie is a super cool lady that I grew up knowing. Every year on my birthday and for Christmas I would get my very own bag of homemade turtles from her. I have craved them around those times of the year ever since I moved 2 states away from her. This year, being 39 weeks pregnant the week of Christmas, I had to succumb to those cravings and finally got my hands on her recipe! It turned out amazing. I have to say I did try other turtle recipes online and they were terrible compared to these, so consider yourself very privileged right now! Enjoy! (You can thank me later!) They're actually NOT hard at all, either, and didn't take nearly as long as I had planned.
1 lb. chocolate almond bark
1/2 lb. pecan halves
*First, you need to make the caramel. The recipe is found HERE. I've tried using store-bought ones and it makes your turtles way too hard.
*Cover some baking pans with wax paper. Spread out 5 pecans for each turtle, as shown in picture 1.
*Melt about 4 squares of your almond bark and then drizzle it over the center of the nuts, to help them stick together; cool until set.
*Once your caramel is cooled and your first layer of chocolate is set, put a blob of caramel on top, as shown in picture 2. (About the size of a half dollar)
*Melt the rest of your chocolate and then cover the caramel, making sure you leave some of the pecans sticking out. Stick baking pan in the freezer for just a few minutes, until set up. (Any longer and your chocolate will get shiny). And that's it! Easy, right?! And they're SOOO cute! Yield: Approximately 45 turtles