Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ice Cream Cake--My Own Version

I have to say I grew up on my mom's ice cream cake, ya know the mint chocolate chip ice cream on top? After I got married I remember calling her up for the recipe, and as I was making it I realized it was HARD! Not so much complex, just way too time-consuming for what seemed to be a simple dessert! So here's my version, and if I do say so myself, I actually can't tell the difference! Baskin Robins has nothin' on me!! Enjoy :)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
25 oreos, crushed
12 oz. jar of chocolate SAUCE (not syrup)--if you want it fudgier add 2 of these
1/2 gallon ice cream, flavor of your choice (our favorite is moose tracks!)
1 Melt butter in 9x13 baking dish. Crush oreos over butter and smash into bottom of dish.
2 Pour chocolate sauce over oreos; freeze 1 hour, or until solid.
3 Smooth softened ice cream over chocolate; freeze 1 more hour, or until solid. Top with whipped cream! YUM!!
This is such a great celebratory dessert---my husband was accepted into his first-choice Masters program for school, and got straight A's this semester, so this was his pick for dessert.