Sunday, May 2, 2010

Meatloaf Dinner

Okay first of all, by no means is this a pretty dish...it's not. It is however, very tasty. I was so embarrassed last time I made it because my husband's friend dropped by. My husband invited him to eat with us and I winced as I dished it up. To my surprise, he LOVED it. Men don't care what it looks like, I've come to accept that and sometimes love that. So enjoy making this for your men!

1-1/2 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 slice of bread, diced
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. water
1-1/4 oz. package onion soup mix (I leave this out--try it and see which way you like better)
shredded cheese
mashed potatoes, homemade or instant (you'll want about 3 cups)

*Combine all ingredients except cheese and potatoes. In a large glass pie dish, for mixture into a ring around the outside. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for 9 minutes; drain grease.
*Spread mashed potatoes into ring and over the top of the meat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook in microwave until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.